Wednesday 12 September 2012

Skipping. The Art of Rummaging Through Rubbish.

Taking 'thrifting' to a whole new level, this week I found myself wondering whether to be impressed or appalled by my husband AND my mother's skip raiding antics.

We have always been a little partial to having a sneaky peek in an on-street skip. Note on-street as going on to someone's driveway to ransack their unwanted goodies is Trespassing. That never seems to stop the rag and bone man. The one with the annoying ukelele whose angelic singing reaches you miles before his scrap van does. Ah. They will happily trespass to take what they want. But ignore them. We are law abiding citizens.

The first thing I ever took from a skip was a fine bone china cup AND an old photograph of a smiling pensioner from a skip on a street in Belper, Derbyshire.

My darling husband however has taken skipping to a whole never level with doors, chairs and also an abandoned rug from the street to put his drums on. Where we used to live if someone didn't want anything they just put it outside their front door. As a direct consequence the area was a complete shithole and there were dirty mattresses and broken chairs lining the street but nevermind! We once found an entire family going through our black bin taking cutlery we had thrown away. One person's rubbish is another's treasure...

Anyway this weekend the skip in question was on the driveway of a house that does actually belong to my family. But it was still a good loot.

 Some kind of vanity case that is blatantly 'shabby chic'

A bedside drawer that can (for now) act as our telephone table whilst we search for something perfect.

He also extracted some garden shears (which we had been on the verge of purchasing) and a music stand for his drum room which he built in the garage.

This week I have not been able to stop looking at the sky. The clouds! They have been so pretty.


I don't know if it's normal but I could just stare at the sky for hours. I have nearly crashed a few times on my way to work.

Oops.

Sky and skips and now it's September. Whatever next!





No comments:

Post a Comment