Friday 21 June 2013

First Trimester observations




I have read a lot of blogs and people always make pregnancy looks easy. I guess that's the same with most things. It's all just an illusion and I fully expected the worst.

What the books and forums and anecdotes rarely mention is... you may well feel absolutely fine and completely normal. I am starting to realise that this is completely normal and what my body is designed to do.  It seems to know what it is doing. I haven't been sick. I felt a little sick a few times. I mainly felt fine. A little tired. And often I felt and feel even better than fine. I feel good! I genuinely love being like this. It's like I finally got interested in science and biology. It's all 'wow' from me whereas before anything that wasn't English or History bored me... I am still getting over the fact that we all started as a bunch of cells. I just never really thought about it before because it just wasn't really something I thought about. But the fact that there is an actual human being growing inside me is a) immense b) terrifying c) a little creepy! I am multiplying! It is a teeny bit like an alien film. I can't believe people do this every day!

But there are a few things I wasn't prepared for:

1) Crying when you take your cats to the vets to get injections and Frank gets upset and goes into shock and  before you know it you are crying in front of a pretty young vet who is looking terrified.

2) Crying at the sight of flowers and at really bad pop songs that no-one should be crying to.

3) Being so tired that when it gets to 10pm you literally can not speak and pass out. Never felt such complete exhaustion. I don't think full time work and the 2 hour commute helps.

4) Needing to wee constantly. Too much decaf tea at work and it's every 10 minutes. Having to stop at motorway service stations on your way home because you need to wee so badly and an hour long drive is too long to last without going. Twice.

5) Worrying constantly about everything that could go wrong.

6) Trying to hide it from work etc in the first 12 weeks is surprisingly easy as long as they don't clock how often you are going to the toilet. And that you suddenly quit caffeine. And started wearing scarves. And starting nibbling nut and seed mix with alarming regularity. And eating a lot of fruit. And stopped saying No to the biscuits.

7) That for the first 12 weeks carbs will be your friend but it won't last forever. Appletiser is like a drug. Once you stop drinking you stop missing it. Until the sun comes out. But non-alcoholic Koppaberg pear cider and non-alcoholic Bavaria wheat beer are amazing. And 40 weeks isn't forever.

7b) Pregnancy does not last 9 months. It lasts 40 weeks. It is more like 10 months. This is a lot longer than you have been lead to believe for all your life. Lies!

8) The second trimester rocks.

I do know that everyone says each pregnancy is completely different so I am concentrating on enjoying this particular one at the moment. I'm just starting to feel baby move but still not entirely convinced that I am going to have an actual baby. I should possibly get out my GCSE biology textbook. I don't think its denial. I just don't think it will actually seem real until I meet her/him.

In the meantime will someone lend me £1000?


No comments:

Post a Comment